Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Week 1 lit feature hunt - Alice

Irony
Initially, when I first saw "The Godfather", I thought that the movie would be focused on the title--the godfather, Vito Corleone. However, the story turned out to be about the godfather's son, Michael Corleone, and his hero's journey. I thought of it as very ironic--the title did not match the movie, it seemed, because the plot illuminated the life of the pushed-out-of-the-family-business son, not on the godfather himself or his godson, Johnny Fontane. It turned out that there were many more ironic scenes and elements that followed the title: the seemingly water-tight family bond contained many traitors. Also, the fact that the sweet and innocent wife of Michael, Apollonia (possibly the only one "good") got killed shortly after becoming one of the Corleone. that scene seems to imply that the evil won over the good; assuming, of course, that "evil" means wrong-doing and corrupt, and "good" meaning free of crime and pleasant. This observation is biased because the first thing I think of when I hear the word hero, is Superman, or the knight in a shining armour; having grown up with fairy tales and media, where the protagonist almost always succeeds the villian in the end, it just comes natural to me.
I believe the lense through which "The Godfather" is viewed impacts greatly on how the movie is analysed. Therefore, some people might disagree that the things I found ironic is not ironic at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment